Ancestry.com; Joe Whitehurst's Ancestors & Descendants, Baltimore, MD 21202
Bulkley, Caroline Kemper, A Search for Clues to the Illustration of Origins, NOTES ON IMMIGRANT LAWSONS OF TIDEWATER
Compilations from the Richardson/Young/Gayle Family Bible; The Comprehensive Family Bible - The Holy Bible; John E. Potter and Company; Philadelphia, PA.
Compilations from the Whitehurst/Norvell Family Bible; The Complete Text Pictorial Family Bible Containing the Old and New Testaments; Phillips and Hunt, Publishers; New York, Copyrighted 1881
Davis, Earl, Research Notes
Gayle, Sally Reed, Research Notes
Greer, George Cabell; Early Virginia Immigrants, 1623 - 1666; 1912
Jett, Carolyn H., LANCASTER COUNTY, VIRGINIA - Where the River Meets the Bay; Lancaster County History Book Committee in association with The Mary Ball Washington Museum and Library, Lancaster, Virginia, 2003
Miller, Norma, Allens of the Southern States, 1989
Nugent, Nell M., Cavaliers and Pioneers, 1934, Richmond,VA, reprinted 1963, 1969 & 1974 by the Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc.
Virginia, Richmond, Virginia State Library, Land Office Records
Virginia, Richmond, Virginia State Library, Virginia Land Grants, Patent 6, p. 474
Whitehurst/Norvell Family Bible; The Complete Text Pictorial Family Bible Containing the Old and New Testaments; Phillips and Hunt, Publishers; New York, Copyrighted 1881

http://homepage.mac.com/philipdavis/home.html; The Gatehouse - The comprehensive gazetteer of the Medieval fortifications and castles of England & Wales
The Lawsons of Gloucester County:http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.virginia.counties.gloucester/239/mb.ashx


Back to Homepage
- Chapters: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25
III. WILLIAM RICHARD WHITEHURST (1599 - ??), known as Richard, was born in 1599 in Trentham, Staffordshire, England. His baptism took place on 3/28/1599, "Richard Whitehurst, son of Richard was Baptized on March 28, 1599." In 1632 Richard married ELLEN CLEMENTS (ca.1610-1615 - ??) and had seven known children.

Richard, said to have come from Ireland, was one of 20 men transported into the colony of Elizabeth City County, VA by a Mr. Stafferton who received 1000 acres of land. In 1636, one James Vanerit acquired the tract from Stafferton. The transaction was recorded in the Virginia Land Office Records as follows: JAMES VANERIT, 1,000 acs. Eliz Citty Co., 17 Oct 1636, p. 396:
For the breadth from Sandy Bay along point Comfort Cr. N.E. & into the sood SW Due by purchase from Stafferton, (first name not mentioned) to whom it was due for trans. of 20 per: Georg Woodcook, John Wilcocks, Abr. Iveson, Hugh Lawson, Hen. Jeffery, Jon. Haward, Tho. Martin, Wm. James, Hen. Walker, Chr. Ward, Jon. Holmes, Geo Clarke, Wm. Whitehurst, Jon. Tingy, Jon. Sanders, Chr. Dawsey, Fr. Denmarke, Rowd Vaughan, Rachell Adams, Jon. Newman.

In 1636 Whitehurst migrated with his family on either October or November 17th to Lower Norfolk County in Virginia and was said to have been among the first settlers there between 1631 and 1645. A lawyer by trade, William established his home at a place called Three Runs in the 1640s on the south shore of the eastern branch of the Elizabeth River. There is still a place called Whitehurst Landing in this vicinity near the Princess Anne Wildlife Management Area located just south of Sandbridge.

250 acres lying on the Sourthward side of Elizabeth River called Gathers Creek, Lower Norfolk County (Land Office Patents and Grants, Deed 10/20/1648, patent 8, pg. 46)
300 acs. Low Norf. Co., On the Swd. side of the Ewd. br. Of Eliz. Riv., running SSw on land of John Godfrey, through the maine poquoson, NNE to a poynt on the Wwd. side of the Church Cr. Granted to Thomas Davis by patent 22 May 1637 by whom it was assigned to Lawrence Peters and purchased by sd. Whitehurst of Peters (Land Office Patents and Grants, Deed 3/15/1648-49, Patent 2, pg. 198)
700 acs. Low. Norf. Co., At the head of the Indian Cr., beg. neare a great swamp, running N by W thence by W by Lintons land and cross the Indian Cr. by a small branch thence S by E towards the great Swamp. Trans of 14 pers: Arghil Comoron, David Murrowes, Thos Sanderson, William Castle, Barth. Ward, Matthew Matthias, Ann Lovell, John Bradwell, John Hebden, Wm. Burgisse, Joseph Miller, Richard Tinley, Robt. Tinley & Debora Crostlewell. (Land Office Patents and Grants, Deed 11/22/1651, patent 2, pg. 350)


This deponent Witnesseth that I, Richard Whitehurst do freely give to Ellen Whitehurst my wife, all my household goods, with all my servants and all my hoggs, and to live upon this plantation her lifetime. Ad that servants thee shall have by that time of her widowhood, the right of their indentures shall belong to James Whitehurst, Robert Whitehurst and John Whitehurst. My Plantation that I now live upon, I do freely give to James, Robert and John Whitehurst equally, to be divided between them when they shall come to age.

I do freely give all me land at the Indian Creeks to my two sons William and Richard Whitehurst to be equally divided between when they shall come of age. I do also give my wife Ellen all my male cattle. She is to pay all my debts and to receive all debts that come to me. I do give female increase to my wife, and to have the male increase to equally divided as the children come to age. I also give Ellen, my daughter, one Holland table clothe, a dozen hand worked napkins, one cubbard cloth and one towel.

I write this as my last will and testament, witness my hand this six day of May.
The mark of "R"
Richard Whitehurst
proved 22 June, 1654

Sealed in the presence of:
Thomas Warrington (x)
Henery Nicholls

William Richard Whitehurst died on 6/22/1654 in Princess Anne County, Va. His will was recorded on 5/6/1654 in Norfolk County, Va. and proved there on 6/22/1654.

IV. WILLIAM WHITEHURST (1633, Norfolk County, VA - ??)
IV. RICHARD WHITEHURST (1636, Norfolk County, VA - ??)
IV. ROBERT WHITEHURST (1639, Lower Norfolk Cty VA - ??)
IV. JAMES WHITEHURST, SR. (1639, Norfolk Co., Virginia - Probably 1/16/1719) m. 1703 Sarah Goldsmith.
IV. JOHN WHITEHURST (1645, Princess Anne Cty VA - ??)
IV. ELLEN WHITEHURST (1648, Princess Anne Cty VA - ??)
IV. SUSAN WHITEHURST (1651, Princess Anne Cty VA - ??)

IV. JAMES WHITEHURST, SR. (1639 - AFTER 1/16/1719-20) was born to William Richard and Ellen Whitehurst in 1639 in Norfolk County, VA. He married SARAH GOLDSMITH (ca. 1639 - ??) in 1703 and had seven children. On 10/23/1673, James was deeded 400 Acres "at the three runns of the Eastern ridges beg.g & c. by the dams on Mr Nicken's land." (Virginia Land Grants, Patent 6, p. 474) He wrote his will on 12/28/1676 naming executors Richard and Carraway, witnesses William Godfrey, Christopher Whitehurst and Henry Whitehurst. The will was proved on 4/17/1677. (Record #33111; Book 4, p. 15, Norfolk County, Va.)

V. JAMES WHITEHURST, Jr. (1675 in Princess Anne Co., VA - ??)
V. THOMAS WHITEHURST (1681 - Between 1/9/1737-38 & 4/2/1740, Princess Anne County) married (Unknown) and (2) Sarah Smith.

V. THOMAS WHITEHURST (1681 - BETWEEN 1/9/1737-38 & 4/2/1740) was born to James and Sarah Whitehurst in 1681. He married (1) UNKNOWN and (2) SARAH SMITH. Thomas Whitehurst died between 1/9/1737-38 when his will was dated and 4/2/1740 when it was proved in Princess Anne County, VA. In the will, transcribed below, his wife's name was not mentioned; however he named his wife and son Lemuell Whitehurst as executors. He named children Patience Godfrey, Smyth, Lemual (sic), Thomas, James, Sarah, Peter, Christopher and William. Witnesses were Thomas Wiles and George Shirley. (DB 5, 1725-1740 (Reel 5), p. 453. Will pro. 2 Apr. 1740, p. 472, Inv. rec. 7 May 1740)


In the name of God Amen, I Thomas Whitehurst of the County aforesaid in Virginia being anchant and calling to mind ye uncertainty of this life and being desirous to settle that small estate, etc: I give unto my daughter Patience Godfrey one two year old hefer besides what I have given her already in full of her portion out of my estate, and likewise I give unto my son Smyth Whitehurst one large brass cittle and one coper ladle being at ye plantation where he lived besides what I have given him already in full of his portion out of my estate.
Likewise I give and bequeath my son Lemual Whitehurst ye plantation where I now dwell to him and his heirs forever, only I give his mother ye full use of all ye house and half ye orchard that is upon it during her widowhood in full of his portion of my estate.
I give and bequeath unto my two Sons Thomas and James Whitehurst, my plantation that lies at ye Three Runs to be equally divided between them, ye eldest to have his first choice, to them and their heirs forever in full of their portion out of my estate.
I give unto my daughter Sarah Whitehurst my best feather bed and furniture belonging to it and one pine chest and one foot spinning wheel and one large pewter dish and one large bason and three plates being pewter to have it paid her when she shall come of age in full of her portion out of my estate.
I give unto my daughter Martha ye next best feather bed and furniture belonging to it
and one black cedar chest and one wooling wheel, one large pewter dish, one large pewter bason, three pewter plates in full of her portion out of my estate, to have it when she comes at age. What silver plate that I have I leave it to my wire's disposing, and likewise all ye rest of my estate within and without dores.
I give to my three youngest sons, that is, Peter, Christopher and William Whitehurst to be equally divided when they come of age, only I leave their mother to have full use of it all during her widowhood, afterward to be equally divided amongst them when they come to age.
I do make my loving wife and my son Lemual Whitehurst my lawful executors of this my last will and Testament in writing whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the 9th day of January 1738.

Thomas Whitehurst & Seal
Witnessed by
Thomas Wiles and Proved at Princess Anne Court
George Shirley April 2nd, 1740

VI. THOMAS WHITEHURST (son of Thomas & Sarah Smith Whitehurst) - (?? - ca. 1799) married ELIZABETH (UNKNOWN).
VI. PATIENCE WHITEHURST (?? - ??) married (Unknown) Godfrey

VI. THOMAS WHITEHURST (?? - ABT. 1799) was born at an unknown date to Thomas and Sarah Smith Whitehurst. He married ELIZABETH (UNKNOWN) and had children Patience, Dinah, Mary and George. He died sometime around 1799 when his will was written. According to the 1790 Census, Princess Anne and Norfolk Counties had 55 Whitehursts as head of families with an average of five persons per household.
VII. GEORGE WASHINGTON WHITEHURST (1779 - Will dated 9/18/1844) married (1) Elizabeth Williamson and (2) Florence Capps

was born to Thomas and Elizabeth Whitehurst in 1779. He married (1) Elizabeth Williamson (1812 - ??) and (2) Florence Capps (1779 - ??) on 4/13/1804. George Washington Whitehurst appears on the 1910 census with grandson Littleton Whitehurst and George L. Mathias (born 3/1883) and John C. Matthias (born 11/1884), nephews living with them. He died sometime after 9/18/1844 when he dated his will. (Bk. 4, p. 292, PACo., Va.)

VIII. ERASMUS CAPPS WHITEHURST (10/18/1816 - 3/16/1894) married (1) Ann Eliza Davis and (2) 2/24/1847 to Sarah Frances Craft
IX. EDWARD HENRY WHITEHURST (1851 - 1933) was born on 1/30/1851 at his father's farm in Pungo, Virginia. His parents were Erasmus Capps and Sarah Frances Craft Whitehurst. When Edward Henry was a small boy, he began carving his name in the back of a small cane-bottom chair in his mother and father's house. He completed one perfect 'E' before his parents caught him and made him stop. Fortunately, his love of wood-carving was not thwarted since he later carved a cradle from a pecan tree on his farm. It was used by three generations of the family.

On 11/7/1878, Edward Henry married (1) ROSA LEE MCCLANHAN (3/27/1860 - 8/21/1889), daughter of John H. and Mary E. McClanhan. Rosalee died on 8/21/1889 at the age of 29 following the birth of Edward Lee.

Following Rosalee's death, Edward Henry married (2) SUSAN PIERCE LAWSON (4/12/1864 - 9/30/1943) on 1/13/1891. Susan, known as Pierce, was the daughter of Thomas Y. and Sallie Lawson of Locklies Creek in Middlesex County and became a devoted stepmother to Edward's children.
Collection of Gayle N. Mandell
VIII. ERASMUS CAPPS WHITEHURST (1816 - 1894) was born on 10/18/1816 to George Washington and Florence Capps Whitehurst. He married (1) ANN ELIZA DAVIS (1833 - before 1847) who may have died in childbirth. On 2/24/1847 he married (2) SARAH FRANCES CRAFT (12/24/1825 - 10/1881) and the couple had seven children born between 1849 and 1860. Erasmus and his family appear on the 1850 census for Princess Anne County. Living with them was one John Flanagan (born 1840). Sarah Frances Whitehurst died in October of 1881 and Erasmus died at age 78 on 3/16/1894.

IX. EDWARD HENRY WHITEHURST (1/3/1851 - 10/7/1933, age 82) married (1) 11/7/1878 to Rosa Lee McClanan, Princess Anne County, VA.
(2) Susan Pierce Lawson
colleciton of Gayle N. Mandell
The Lawson House is distinguished by its large first and second floor porches extending the lengths of both sides of the house, the lower porches with brick flooring. It is unusual in that there is no interior staircase to the second floor, necessitating a trip outside and through the porches to go from one level to the other. Mrs. William Henry Lawson is said to have frequently commented that only a bachelor would have built such an "inconvenient" house.

The first and second floors are identical in plan with a center hall connecting the porches and with one room on each side. Despite its similarity to other houses of the period, unique features are incorporated. The pitch of the second story rooms is greater than that of the ground level and the windows higher from the floor. Although there is no interior stairway connecting the first and second floors, there is an open interior staircase from the second level to the attic. To accommodate this, one of the rooms is smaller than the one below it. Low fireplaces are in each of the four rooms, and the mantel facings are uncommonly wide in order that the shelf might be at an ordinary height. The upstairs chair railing is intact, but that of the first floor has been removed.

A passage from one of the downstairs rooms leads to a story and a half addition, used and probably built by the Lawsons as a dining room, but now the kitchen. Enclosed steps from this kitchen lead to an attic room with no entrance to the other part of the house. A small enclosed porch leads from the present kitchen to what was the Lawson's kitchen, now used for storage. The end chimney in this room has been removed. Outbuildings included a school where "Miss Susie" Lawson taught and which at least one student reached by rowing across the creek.

Times have changed, but this home holds happy memories for many. One, who played here as a child, laughed suddenly as she walked across the upstairs porch, and then explained, "I just remembered something that happened."
Photograph, Gayle N. Mandell 2002
I. WILLIAM WHYTEHURSTE (CA. 1540 - 1611/12) was born about 1540 in Trentham, Staffordshire, England. He married (UNKNOWN) and had children Richard, Margrate, Raphe, and Margerie. William died on 3/3/1611-12 at Trentham. .

II. RICHARD WHITEHURST (Before 5/20/1558 in Trentham, Staffordshire, England - ??)

II. RICHARD WHITEHURST (Bef. 5./20/1558 - Bet. 1611-71) was born before 5/20/1558 in Trentham, Staffordshire, England, to William Whytehurste and an unknown wife. Richard was baptized on 5/20/1575 in Trentham. He married (UNKNOWN) and had several children. His death is estimated between 1611 and 1671. In early times all households in England were taxed based on the number of hearths in the house. According to the 1666 hearth taxation records in Staffordshire, England, Richard Whitehurst was taxed on four hearths. In this area is the Whitehurst village and the ancestral home of the Whitehurst family.

III. RICHARD WHITEHURST & WILLIAM WHITEHURST [Listed by some researchers, however this may be a confusion of William Richard (below), known as Richard.]
III. WILLIAM RICHARD WHITEHURST (3/28/1599, Trentham, Staffordshire, England - Bef. 1651, Princess Anne Co., VA) m. 1632 ELLEN CLEMENTS.

COAT OF ARMS BY CHARLES MORRISETTE [From the collection of Sally Reed Gayle Whitehurst, grandmother of this writer.
Edward Henry and Susan Pierce Lawson Whitehurst appeared on the 1910 census in Ward 6, Norfolk City. Edwards's age was listed as 59 and Susan's as 46. Children living in the house were Nellie L., age 27, Ernest L., age 25, Hugh G., age 23, Lee E., age 20, Thomas L., age 14, and Virginia L., age 8. Pierce Lawson Whitehurst died on 9/30/1943 and Edward Henry on 10/7/1933 at age 82. During their later years, Edward and Pierce lived with Ernest and Sally Whitehurst, Edward's son and daughter-in-law, in Norfolk.

X. ROSA VERONA (2/22/1880 - 9/30/1880, age 7 mos.)
X. NELLIE LEE (7/28/1882 - ??) married on 12/21/1910 to Jacob Glenn Petree, Princess Anne County, Va.
X. ERNEST LINWOOD: (2/26/1885 - 10/17/1968) married on 10/3/1912 to Sally Reed Gayle at Onancock, Va.
X. HUGH GLENMORE (3/5/1886 - 11/2/1950, California) married Alma (Unknown)
X. EDWARD LEE (8/18/1889 - ??) married 10/4/1910 to Alberta Lee Boudro

X. THOMAS FLEET: (3/7/1896 - 12/27/1915 at age 19, buried at Elmwood Cemetery in Norfolk)
X. ROSA PIERCE: (12/13/1898 - ??)
X. VIRGINIA LAWSON: (12/30/1901 - 3/15/1961, Norfolk, Va.) Virginia was an Interior Designer with the firm of Miller & Rhodes in Richmond, Va. She died at the home of her half-brother, Ernest L. Whitehurst, after an illness.
Edward Henry & Susan Pierce Lawson Whitehurst,
Collection of Gayle N. Mandell

The Lawson family in Virginia originated from Catterick in the North Riding of Yorkshire, England, where they resided at a manor house known as Burgh/Brough Hall, built by the De Burgh family. John de Burgh, Esq. son of Richard de Richmond and a de Burgh daughter, inherited the manor from his mother, assuming her family name and arms. The direct male line ended with Roger Burgh, Esq., whose only daughter and heiress, Elizabeth (Abt. 1544 - ??) conveyed the estate in marriage to her husband RALPH LAWSON ESQ. (1547 - 1623), who she married on 6/17/1568. Ralph Lawson was knighted by James I of England on 7/23/1603. (Jett, Marriage settlement 6/17/1568, will dated 9/4/1623, proved 10/9/1623)
Brough Hall, built of stone during the reign of Charles I, has remained in the Lawson family since its early ownership by Ralph Lawson, son of Edmund Lawson of Cramlington Hall, Northumberland. The structure was altered and enlarged by many additions over the years, including two side wings added under ownership by Sir John Lawson, and was later divided into ten residences. Ralph Lawson and his wife Elizabeth Brough Lawson had eight children, Jane, Alice, Margaret, Henry, Roger (1573 - Abt. 1613) and John Lawson who married Sarah Rowland. John and Sarah had four sons, namely Christopher, Richard (?? - 1658), Epaphroditus (Abt. 1600 - 1656), and Rowland Lawson (?? - 1661) who came to Virginia in the 1630s and were awarded grants in Warricksquike in 1634, on the Rappahannock River in 1636.

Epaphroditus Lawson appeared in Virginia on 7/20/1633 when he witnessed a conveyance of land on the Poquoson River in the eastern part of York County by John Davis of Kiskiacke, Planter, to one Thomas Curtis. (Patent Book I, pg. 525, Va. Land Office) He later acquired land on the Rappahannock River in what became Lancaster County but died young and his brother Rowland inherited his property. Rowland Lawson served as a Justice for Lancaster County. He married and had children Elizabeth, Leticia, Henry, John, Epaphroditus, Richard, Joanna, and Rowland Lawson II (1645 - 1706). He died in Lancaster County on 5/3/1661. Roland Lawson II married Anna Keen Jones, daughter of R. Jones, and like his father became a Justice of Lancaster County in 1684. His will, written in 1706, bears a seal showing his coat-of-arms, a chevron between three martlets. Children of Rowland II and Anna Jones Lawson were Sarah, Henry, Hugh, and Rowland III (?? - 1717) who married Jane Glascock (1673 - 1738) and had children - Thomas, Anthony, Sarah, Joanna, Elizabeth, John (?? - Abt. 1761), and Roland Lawson IV.

I. RICHARD BACHELOR KELSICK LAWSON (1793 - 1858), supposedly a descendent of this line, was born near Pampa in Gloucester County, VA and was a leading planter of the Pampa area and owned a large number of slaves. He married on 1/30/1818 to Elizabeth Barnes Kemp (1793 - ??) of Middlesex County, daughter of Mathew Kemp. Their children were Sarah Bachelor Lawson (1/11/1819 - died young) and THOMAS YOUNGER LAWSON SR. (1820 - 1893)

II. THOMAS YOUNGER LAWSON SR. (5/5/1820, Gloucester County - 7/16/1893, Locklies Farm, Middlesex County) was engaged in merchandising, first in Mathews County and later in Middlesex, where he moved sometime prior to the Civil War. He was politically active as a member of the Democratic Party and served as a member of the County Board of supervisors. Thomas married (1) SUSAN PIERCE FLEET who was also born in Gloucester and died at Locklies Farm. They had two children, Fleet and Ida Eizabeth. Thomas then married (2) SALLIE ANNE FLEET (5/17/1840, Mathews County - 7/30/1914, Locklies Farm), sister of his first wife, and had eight additional children.

THE FAMILY OF THOMAS Y. LAWSON was listed on the 1870 Census for Middlesex County as a dry goods merchant, age 56. His wife, Sallie Ann, was 29 and children were listed as William H., age 8; Thomas Y., age 4; Charles M., age 2; and another child, age 8/12. Susan P. Lawson was then 6 years old. In 1880, the family was listed as Thomas Y. Lawson, merchant, age 60; wife Sarah A., age 39; children William H., age 18; Susan P., age 16; Thomas Y., Jr., age 14; Charles M., age 12; Ida W., age 8; Nellie K., age 6; and Missie, age 3. Thomas Y. Lawson was also an oysterman, and the Lawson name is still prominent among watermen in Virginia.

The following letter to Thomas Y. Lawson, Esq., Harmony Village, Middlesex County, Virginia, was from Samuel C. Smith aboard the
USS Brooklyn, Copenhagen, Denmark. It was transcribed with original spelling and punctuation by Gayle N. Mandell, great-granddaughter of Edward Henry Whitehurst.

July 7, 1871 July 7, 1871

Dear Sir,
I have long intended writing you but have procrastinated so long that I am almost ashamed to begin, but the old adage says "better late than never", so I'll commence by giving you a brief history or our cruise so far. You no doubt have heard of the mishap that befell us on our outward bound passage, which caused us to go on the dry dock in Lisbon. We lay in dock sixty days and as I had unlimited liberty - I got to be about as well acquainted with it, as I am with some of our cities. Lisbon abounds with objects of interest. One of the costliest chapels in the world is here, the Chapel of St. John the Baptist; built in Rome and Mass performed in the Church of St. Rogue. The walls of most of their cathedrals are covered with most beautiful mosaics. There are also a number of statues erected in different parts of the city to departed Portuguese monarchs. After spending the entire Winter in Lisbon we sailed for Gibralter - calling at Tangiers on the coast of Barbary, a small walled city of no interest whatever except that of being in close proximity to Trafalgar Bay, the place where Nelson gained such a signal victory. We staid a week in the Rock of Gibralter and I learned some facts in reference to it that will probably bear mention. The Rock was known to ancients as one of the pillars of Hercules. It has been successively owned by the Carthaginians, Romans, VisiGoths, Moors, Spaniards and English. It has stood a number of protracted sieges and is one of the strongest fortified places in the world. The Town itself is but a dusty hole and has nothing to commend it to the stranger. From Gibralter, we went to Cadiz, Spain, and west through a course of drilling preparatory to passing our _____ annual inspection by the Admiral. Cadiz is one of the oldest cities in Spain, but there is nothing very remarkable about it except the wall with which it is enclosed which is of immense thickness. We left Lisbon May 22nd bound for Ryde Isle of Wight at which place we arrived in twenty one days, an unparalled long passage. Six miles from where we lay was the residence of the Queen in Summers known as Osborn House. We had a fine view of it in passing from Ryde. We sailed to a small place in Norway called Christianssand, and staid a couple of days from there to Copenhagen where we fell in with the Flag Ship and the Juniatta [probably the name of another ship]. We only lay there a couple of days and then started for Croustadt, Russia. We were all anticipating a good time in St. Petersburg, but on our arrival learned that the small pox was rife in the city, and so were debarred from going on shore. The American Minister & ____ paid us a visit and we expected to have the Grand Duke Constantine on board, but for some cause or another he failed to put in an appearance. We had all the lesser dignitaries visit us however. Such as Admirals, Lords, Commodores &c &c [etc. etc.]. After laying in Croustadt ten days we sailed for Stockholm in Sweden and had a very pleasant passage until within a few miles of there when we ran on a rock which damaged so much that we shall be obliged to go on the dry dock here for repairs. We had most a splendid time in Stockholm. I don't know as I ever enjoyed myself so in any foreign city as I did in this place. The city is built on seven islands and on one is a garden of twenty-six acres, laid to be the finest in the world. The whole place, one might say, is a garden. Beautiful parks cut-up into carriage drives bordered with flowers. The King's Palace is a fine building, but sadly in need of repair. The inhabitants thronged our ship. It has been years since an American Man of War has visited this place and I assure you we were genuine curiosities to them. From Stockholm we sailed to small Swedish port(s), the name of which I do not recollect, and then came to this place. We expect to go on the dry dock some time this week and as the damage done our ship is not known yet, I cannot say how long we shall be here. And now to make some inquiries about home---I have written home repeatedly but have received but two letters since I left. My letters must have miscarried. I most earnestly wish you would write me and let me know if there is any hope as to saving Locust Grove. I ____ very anxious to learn all the particulars and what ever may have transpired since my leaving. For on my return to the States, Providence permitting, I shall become a permanent citizen of Middlesex. Give my respects to Mr. Colin Garret and to the Messrs. Saddlers. And let me know when you write whether John Clements has sold you any more milch cows or Spring Chickens lately. Be sure and write me soon as I am very anxious to hear from old Virginia. When you write - direct to Edward Hughes, U.S. Ship "Brooklyn", care of B. J. Stevens, No. 17 Henrietta St., Covent Garden, London, England.

Yours Respectfully,

Samuel C. Smith

[Collin P. Garrett, son of Edward Garrett, inherited his father's estate in 1866. He sold the property, known as Waterview Farm, in 1880 to John C. Clarke. At Clarke's death it passed to his son Morton Emory Clarke, who left it to his daughter, Elizabeth Clarke Worthington. The property referred to as Locust Grove was located nearby.]

The old Lawson house, privately owned, is still standing near the Rappahannock River outside the town of Hartfield. Her step-granddaughter, Jeannette Whitehurst, the step-granddaughter of Pierce Lawson and an aunt of this writer, remembers spending many happy times at the old Lawson house on Locklies Creek, including trips across the creek to "Aunt Wave's and Uncle Emry Clark's", Pierce's sister and brother-in-law. Following is a transcription from HISTORIC BUILDINGS OF MIDDLESEX COUNTY VIRGINIA, 1650 - 1875, by Louise E. Gray, Evelyn Q. Ryland & Bettie J. Simmons concerning the Lawson House.

The Lawson House on Locklies Creek was built in the mid-1850's by Robert E. Garrett, a bachelor, on 108 acres of land acquired in the division of the estate of Edward Garrett, his father. In 1857, Garrett sold the property to Thomas Young Lawson, whose widow Sarah (Sally) transferred it to their son. William Henry Lawson, in 1893. Mr. Lawson sold the portion of the property on which the home was located to his son-in-law and daughter, A. E. and Nellie Lawson Meredith, in 1935 and 1938, and in 1966 J. Fuller and Elizabeth C. Robinson became the owners.
Brough Hall, Catteryck/Catterick, Yorkshire Photograph by Jack and Patsy Jackson, 2008
III. FLEET (7/28/1855 - ??), a merchant, farmer, oyster planter and shipper at Butylo in Middlesex County who married Emma Bass and had children.
III. IDA ELIZABETH (2/20/1857 - 1871) who died at age 14.

III. WILLIAM H. (2/14/1862 - ??), the eldest son of Thomas Y. and Sallie Anne Fleet Lawson, was raised at his father's farm at Locklies and attended several private schools in the vicinity while helping his father with the farming. After he became of age, he was engaged in oyster planting and shipping and in 1887 went into the mercantile business at Harmony Village. After three years he sold the store and purchased his parents' 100 acre homestead,
Locklies Farm, selling 25 acres of it. He resided at the farm until 1920. William married Kate Booth Taliaferro, a daughter of Thomas Booth and Mary Sinclair Taliaferro, on 10/30/1894 at Christ Church, Middlesex County. They had two children, Nellie H., who lived with her parents and was a music teacher in the high school at Syringa, VA, and Margaret Munford, who taught high school at White Stone in Lancaster County. Hon. William Lawson was a farmer and served Middlesex County in several capacities and became a state representative of Topping. He was a member of the Lower Methodist Episcopal Church, South and served as a steward.
III. SUSAN PIERCE (4/12/1864 - ??) married EDWARD HENRY WHITEHURST, a Norfolk businessman, and had children [see below].
III. THOMAS YOUNGER JR. (2/23/1866 - ??), a merchant in Harmony Village, married Susie Duval and had children.
III. CHARLES MELLAR (2/10/1868 - ??), a skilled mechanic who lived at Locklies, married Annie Segar and had children.
III. BERTHA TEMPLE (12/19/1869 - ??) unmarried, owned and operated a millinery shop in Baltimore, MD.
III. IDA WAVERLEY (5/31/1871 - ??) married merchant Morton Emory Clarke and had children, Elizabeth Howard Clarke and Morton Clarke. They lived at Regent.
III. NELLIE KELSICK (8/2/1874 - ??) married James William Stiff, commissioner of revenue for Middlesex County, and lived at Locklies. They had no children.
III. MARY B. (?? - ??) married Ashby L. Jones, a manufacturer, hotel proprietor, oyster planter and shipper, who lived at Urbanna.
X. ERNEST LINWOOD WHITEHURST (1885 - 1968) was born at the family farm in Pungo, Virginia, on 2/26/1885 to Edward Henry and RosaLee McClanhan Whitehurst. His mother died while Ernest was still a child and his father married Susan Pierce Lawson, a woman who was to become a devoted and much loved step-mother. Having lost his own mother at a young age, Ernest was always concerned with keeping his family close and providing for them. His step-mother's family, the Lawsons, had a home in Middlesex County and Ernest always delighted in taking his family on Sunday drives to the Middle Peninsula, the Northern Neck, and to his sister Nelly's home in Princess Anne County. Ernest had no formal education after elementary school, was largely self-taught and extremely competent in financial and business affairs, He became the owner and partner in the firm of Whitehurst-Wilbur Company, later Whitehurst-Blassingham Company, a supplier of building materials in Norfolk.

On 10/3/1912 Ernest married SALLY REED GAYLE in Onancock, Virginia, at a ceremony performed by Sally's father, Methodist minister, Robert Finley Gayle. They had two daughters, Jeannette Gayle and Rosalee. The family lived in the Ghent section of that city at 619 Baldwin Avenue. In the early 1940s, Ernest built a summer cottage for his family at "Willoughby Spit" on the Chesapeake Bay in the Ocean View section of Norfolk. It soon became the favorite place for family gatherings and was enjoyed by four generations before it was sold out of the family. A community leader, Ernest served for a number of years as President of the Kiwanis Club, President of the Builders & Contractors Exchange and was active in Ghent Methodist Church in Norfolk.

Although a businessman and tireless volunteer, Ernest was never too busy for his family. Whenever he could, he acted as chauffeur, spending many hours driving family members to school, doctor's appointments, and after-school activities. He is lovingly remembered by his descendants, and one treasured memory is of his occasional walks wearing his favorite blue and white seersucker suit, straw hat, and pocket watch. Ernest wore size 11 shoes and walked with a cane in later years. He and Sally were a devoted couple and celebrated 50th wedding anniversary when their two daughters honored them at a celebration at their home on Baldwin Avenue. They were presented with an engraved brass candlestick passed down from Sally's maternal grandparents, Joseph Laville and Caroline Elethia Richardson Young, to Sally's parents, Robert Finley and May Jeannette Young Gayle. All three couples celebrated 50 years together. The candlestick is now in possession of this writer.

Ernest died of heart failure on 10/17/1968 in Norfolk, Virginia, and was buried in the family plot at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Norfolk. Sally died quietly in her sleep on 7/19/1973 in Norfolk, and was buried beside him.
VI. JEANNETTE GAYLE WHITEHURST (7/22/1913 - 6/14/2002) unmarried.
VI. ROSALEE "DIXIE" WHITEHURST (2/1/1917, Norfolk, Va. - 3/19/1985, Norfolk, VA) married LORING "PETE" NORVELL, Norfolk, VA.
VI. ROSALEE WHITEHURST (2/1/1917, Norfolk, Va. - 3/19/1985, Norfolk, Va.), nicknamed "Dixie," married LORING "PETE" NORVELL ( 12/22/1909, Norfolk, VA - 1997, Phoenix, Arizona) on 11/4/1939 in Norfolk and had two children, Gayle Curdts Norvell and Loring Linwood Novell. Loring Norvell was born to Edward Lorenzo and Ada Virginia Curdts Norvell. His brothers and sisters were Edward Lewis, Virginia Dandridge, Ellen Amelia, and Susan Spottswood Norvell. He and Dixie began their married life in apartments on Brandon and Colonial Avenues in the Ghent section of Norfolk and later moved to a house at 741 Baldwin Avenue. When Gayle and Linwood were pre-teens, the family moved across the street to 742 Baldwin Avenue, where Pete and Dixie remained until retiring to their summer home at 1352 West Ocean View Avenue at Willoughby.

Pete Norvell served in the Virginia National Guard as Sergeant, Company K, First Infantry. Although his education only extended through high school, he established a rewarding career and for a number of years was a regional sales representative for the Johnson's Wax Company. Later he went to work as manager for the Harry B. Cook Company, a food brokerage firm in Hyattsville, Maryland, from which he retired. He was active in the Men's club of Ghent Methodist Church, the PTA at Taylor Elementary School, and was Coach of a boy's baseball team in Atlantic City in Norfolk. Besides having an active interest in fishing, boating, and golfing, he was also an award-winning wood sculptor and that endeavor helped to enrich his retirement years. He exhibited his carved and painted shorebirds in shows in Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina.

Both Pete and Dixie loved Christmas and always made it special with with lots of greenery, candles, home-made candy and cookies, and a beautiful tree with numerous ornaments that became family keepsakes. Pete had a lively imagination and invented a Christmas elf named "Silly Tingle." He placed a small bell near his basement workbench and rang it occasionally, telling the children that the elf was visiting his workshop. Of course they were never allowed to see him, but grew up believing they had a resident elf. When daughter Gayle's son Chris came along, she continued the tradition.

Pete also loved creating the "perfect" Christmas tree. Following the selection of a Balsa Fir, just the right width and height with evenly spaced branches, Pete proceeded to sculpt it further by sawing off branches in some areas and adding them in others, drilling holes in the trunk and inserting the cut branches to achieve the desired effect. The result was always a perfectly symmetrical tree. When Gayle and Woody were small, decorating wouldn't begin until after they were in bed on Christmas Eve and they were never allowed to see the finished tree until they awoke on Christmas morning. Pete and Dixie would stay up into the wee hours to finish the work - stringing lights, carefully placing ornaments, and hanging strands of tinsel. Only then would the gifts be placed under the tree. Every so often Pete would ring the little bell to signal the presence of "Silly Tingle." Come Christmas morning, the lights on the tree were turned on, Christmas records would be playing on the stereo, and the camera would be loaded with film for the first Christmas photo.

Dixie was a devoted wife, mother, and homemaker. She was also a talented seamstress, making many of her daughter's clothes, and also had a special flair for interior decorating.She had a wonderful sense of style, reflected in both her appearance and her surroundings. Dixie preferred living at the families' home in Ghent but when summer came she willingly packed them off to their summer place on Willoughby Spit. Not much of a swimmer herself, she spent hours sitting with friends on the beach watching Gayle and Woody in the water and we could always count on her to cook whatever fish were caught at a moment's notice. A member of Ghent Methodist Church , Dixie also joined the Kings Daughters Circle, a volunteer organization of Kings Daughters Hospital in Norfolk. She loved attending their luncheon meetings and was an avid bridge player. Though afflicted with Parkinsons Disease in later life, she kept her spirits up and remained bright and cheerful. A stroke caused her death on 3/19/1985 and she was buried in the family plot at Forrest Lawn Cemetery in Norfolk.

Following Dixie's death Pete continued to live at their house in Willoughby until his health began to fail. He then went to live with his son Woody in Phoenix, Arizona. He enjoyed the climate and soon adapted to his new lifestyle. He died of emphesema on 10/7/1997 in Phoenix at age 87. His remains were cremated in Phoenix and buried at a graveside memorial service held the following year at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Norfolk on Tuesday, 7/14/1998.

VII. LORING LINWOOD (1/20/1948, Norfolk, VA - ) of Norfolk is a musician, composer and arranger of music. He is unmarried and lives in Norfolk. VA.
VII. GAYLE CURDTS (1/7/1946, Norfolk, VA - ) of Norfolk married (1) Lionel Page Brown on 10/15/1968 and had a son, Christopher Lionel Brown (5/10/1970 - ). Gayle and Lionel were divorced in 1981 and Gayle married (2) Barry Reid Mandell (5/21/1940 - 11/22/2015), a pilot and restauranteur, on 5/21/1982 at Norfolk.
Rosalee Whitehurst Norvell & Loring "Pete" Norvell
Photographs, Collection of Gayle N. Mandell
VI. JEANNETTE GAYLE WHITEHURST (7/22/1913 - 6/14/2002) was born to Ernest Linwood and Sally Gayle Whitehurst on 7/22/1913 in Norfolk, Virginia. She attended the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg and afterwards worked for Willis-Wayside Furniture Company in Virginia Beach. During that time, she lived with her Aunt and Uncle, Glen and Nellie Whitehurst Petree in Princess Anne County. Nellie was a sister to Jeannette's father, Ernest. She returned to Norfolk and worked as Executive Secretary for the Tidewater Supply Company, from which she retired. She was also a Charter member and past president of the Chesapeake Chapter of the National Secretaries Association (International) and an active member of Ghent Methodist Church in Norfolk.

Having worked for a firm that sold farm machinery, Jeannette always said she would like to operate a crane or other piece of heavy equipment! So on a birthday in the 1990s, in response to this request, her niece Gayle and nephew-in-law Barry Mandell arranged a visit with a friend who owned a burrow pit where Jeannette was able to operate a huge earth-mover. She even received a hard-hat!

Jeannette remained single during her life and lived with her parents at 619 Baldwin Avenue. Her sister Rosalee's family lived a block away at 742 Baldwin Avenue, and both families spent summers at 1352 West Ocean View Avenue in Willoughby Spit, a duplex built by her father. She was the favorite aunt of her niece and nephew, Gayle and Linwood Norvell. When the two were small, they couldn't say Jeannette, so they began calling their aunt "Net." .

A world-traveler, Jeannette made three trips abroad to Denmark, Europe and Great Britain. Niece Gayle accompanied her on the trip to Europe in 1963, leaving from Norfolk by bus and traveling to New York where they boarded the S. S. America. The two spent about a month touring England, Ireland, Scotland, France and Germany. Jeannette also traveled extensively in the United States with friends and sometimes with Gayle, Linwood and her great-nephew, Chris Brown.

After the deaths of her parents, Jeannette remained at the family home on Willoughby Beach in Norfolk, but later moved to Brighton Gardens Retirement Community in Virginia Beach. She enjoyed reading, traveling, weaving, and taking drives in the country with Gayle. She was a lifelong member of Ghent United Methodist Church in Norfolk. Jeannette died on 6/14/2002 after suffering a broken hip following a fall at her residence. She is buried at Forest Lawn cemetery in the family plot.
Jeannette Gayle Whitehurst, Collection of Gayle N. Mandell
Rosalee and Jeannette Whitehurst,
Collection of Gayle N. Mandell